This aluminum foil art collage craft is awesome and works great as a simple art project for kids of all ages. Using tin foil for crafting is an adventure! Aluminum foil is just so shiny and crinkly and makes a super simple art project at home or in the classroom.
Foil Art for Kids
Making a tin foil collage is a craft with aluminum foil that is so simple that even the youngest artist can get involved with colorful results. Older kids will love making art with aluminum foil because these simple craft supplies can turn into gorgeous works of art.
Make a Tin Foil Collage Craft
We have played with tin foil before and making a tin foil collage art project is one of my personal all-time favorite art activities we have done.
We did this craft project quite a long time ago, I think my kids were ages 3 and 4 here, but the results were so eye-catching we still have these hanging up on the rotating art display in their rooms. I don’t think they’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for Foil Art Project
Directions to Make Foil Art
1. Create a Tin Foil Craft Canvas
Start by making your own foil canvas which will be the foundation of this project. To make your own foil canvases, cut any cardboard you have on hand in to the shape you would like your canvas to be (we used cereal boxes and a square shape):
- Wrap the cardboard in aluminum foil.
- Keep your folds nice and neat so you can tape the foil on the backside to keep it in place.
They had a blast going through all of the steps, I love how my kids threw themselves into this project.
2. Create Aluminum Foil Craft Art
The next step is to add color to the aluminum foil canvas – markers, paint, paper, etc. There is no wrong way to go about this!
- Kids will learn about layering the different types of color.
- They can experiment with if they start with paint or put it on as the last layer.
- Each thing they try will result in something magical and different.
Not only is this a great craft to do, but it is also a lot of fun to photograph. I love the way the light reflects off of the foil.
Our Experience with this Aluminum Foil Craft
I created this project with the hopes of occupying my littles for quite some time, so I broke it up in to segments
- Creating the tin foil canvas.
- Adding color with markers.
- Painting the aluminum foil canvas (we did this with cork stamps & tempera paint, but you could use any combo here).
- Preparing the collage materials (shredding paper, hole punching, etc. — aka, letting the paint set up a bit).
- The fun part – adding the tissue paper, pom poms and hole punches – putting the aluminum foil craft together!
More Kids Craft Ideas with Foil from Kids Activities Blog
If you liked this aluminum foil craft idea, then don’t put the tin foil away just yet! We have other fun things you can create with your kids using things you already have at home.
How did your aluminum foil collage art project turn out? What types of materials did you use?